This recipe came into our house by happy accident. I had a turkey sausage and no clue what to make for dinner. As the sausage was cooking in the pan I dug through our cabinets and fridge and began adding ingredients. I chopped some fresh veggies, added a can of beans and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. Cooked up some red lentil pasta (which plays nice with my blood sugar) and topped the whole thing with some cheddar cheese. The result…one delicious dinner.
The great thing about this dinner is that it take less than 30 minutes to put together, fills little bellies with lots of veggies, and uses only a sauce pan and a large frying pan making clean up fast.
Looking For More Great Family Recipes? Italian Veggie Soup, No-Rice Chicken Fried Rice: Low-Carb and Kid-Approved, Happy Pi Day! Yummy and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What You Need:
- 1 Smoked Turkey Sausage
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Can Black Beans or Cannellini Beans
- 1/2 Box Red Lentil Pasta (I buy it at Wall-Mart. This pasta does not cause my blood sugars to spike like regular pasta and tastes great)
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- As many fresh veggies as you can find in the fridge
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin*
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano*
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder (or more if you like spice)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cheddar Cheese for topping
* Feel free to play with spices and add any of your favorites. This is not an exact science kind of recipe.
What You Do:
- Bring approximately 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentil pasta and cook until tender. Drain pasta when cooked and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté onion and garlic in a large frying pan with olive oil at a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes (until onion is translucent.
- Slice sausage and add to onion and garlic and cook until slightly browned.
- While sausage is cooking slice veggies and add to pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix veggies and sausage and cook until veggies are tender.
- Add can of fire roasted tomatoes and beans (drained and rinsed) and mix well.
- Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, and sugar and mix well. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.
- Add pasta to the pan, mix and serve.
- Top with cheddar cheese and make little bellies very happy.
We have made this dinner at least once a week for the last two months and each time we have a different mix of veggies. This time around we had a small bit of broccoli leftover in the fridge so I added it two the peppers and zucchini. This is a great dinner to use up the precious veggies we have pulled from our garden.
I’ve found that feeding my family doesn’t have to be difficult and complicated. Tasty, healthy food can be easy.
Eat Well and Enjoy My Friends!
Make Dinner Look Amazing
Amazon Basics Has Great Deals On Plate Sets That Will Make Your Food A Work Of Art