I have been blessed with two little veggie eaters. They are so very different than what I was like as a child. In my childhood mind, salad was for rabbits and often compared to grass. Lima beans were something to be hated, abhorred and carefully picked out of any serving of mixed veggies and don’t even get me started on those friends of mine who ate raw carrots!! My mother just shook her head.
I have since fallen in love with my veggies and have recently wandered into the world of growing our own veggie garden. My kids are the raw carrot, cherry tomato eating kids that I could not understand when I was a child and as their mom I am so very grateful for this.
Even if you don’t have two little rabbits living in your house, this soup stands a great chance at becoming a favorite dinner. The girls love how it tastes thanks to the sausage and tomatoes giving it a pizza like flavor. (And yes, my kids love to top their soup with extra cheese and crackers. I say go for it, have fun because I know how good this soup is for you)
I love how many veggies it gives my kids, how quick it is to make and lastly I love it because if you make it in a big enough pot you can get at least two dinners out of it for a family of four.
What You Need:
- 1 Pound Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic (to taste)
- 3-4 large stalks of celery chopped
- 3-4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup veggie or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar (What!! You’re a diabetic!!! Trust me this tiny teaspoon will do little harm but it will do wonders to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes and take this pot of goodness to a new level.)
- Water – Add as needed to cover veggies and create enough soup for the next day
The How To:
- In a large stock pot heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion and when translucent add carrots, celery, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium low and allow veggies to simmer til tender.
- Add turkey sausage and garlic and cook thoroughly.
- Add tomatoes, broth, spices, zucchini, sugar, beans and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn down heat, serve up and enjoy!!!